Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Back to School Gifts

I really wanted to play in the Die Cuttin Diva's Challenge - Back to school


I had these tins that I picked up at garage sales and thrift shops and I decided to use the little snowman and santa ones, they were cute but not for me.  I made some back to school gifts.




First I spray painted the little tins and then I covered the front with some Imaginisce Geek is Chic papers and elements.  The large apple is cut with my Doodlecharm cricut cartridge.  I also used some Unity stamps and some twine from The Twinery.  This is another entry into the Unity challenge - back to school.  Inside the tins are some smarties - cuz my girls are so smart and a 'pencil' - they are sharp too ;)

A close up of the 'pencils' .  They are a package of rolos, with a Hershey kiss stuck on with a Glue Dot.  I used my PTI woodgrain impression plate to emboss the paper to make the pencil more realistic.  

I am sure my girls will be quite surprised to find these on the first day of school (only if they don't check to far into my facebook posts, since they are my friends).  Although I don't think they read my posts as they are not 'cool' enough for them.  Here is hoping anyway ;)

27 comments:

yyam said...

That's some awesome upcycling Laurel! :) Love the smarties! So clever! :)

Glenda J said...

These are so terrific! You are so clever!
Saw the feature on PC Connection - congrats!

Jenny said...

oooh these are sooo great, i just LOVE the pencil idea! I got to make some!! :) :) :) :)

Cre8tiveVet said...

How perfect! I love everything about this project and am going to see if I have any of those tins lying around. Thanks for joining us at DCD. -Yvette
cre8tivegirls.blogspot.com

kasia c. said...

What an absolutely fabulous idea! Love those hershey's kisses pencils. :)

Cindy Lee said...

How amazing! I always thought you make the loveliest gift package ever!!

Karen B. said...

Oy! These are fantastic!

Monika Wright | I Love It All said...

these are adorable projects and I adore that you added a bit of baker's twine from The Twinery!

Unknown said...

WOW!!! I love how you turned those old tin baskets into back to school pails!! These are absolutely gorgeous!!! ;o)

scrapsnsuch@gmail.com said...

Oh my these are just cute, cute, cute!!!! What fun!!!! So creative :>)

Lili said...

Adorable! Great idea :)

Stacy said...

These are super cute!!

Esther said...

Love what you morfed these tins into!!
Very cute!

Unknown said...

STinkin', stinkin' cute. What a fun mom you are!

farmhouse-story said...

what an awesome project, laurel! these are way cute!

1CardCreator said...

Thesa are awesome Laurel! I'll have to remember your Rolo trick for my DD.

Brenda said...

You are so creative, Laurel! I love those pencils!!

Misty Olsen said...

Hi Laurel,

What another Great Idea for wonderful REUSES!!! I just love it :o) Thanks so much for sharing at DCD :o) Stay Crafty

Mistyrose
Die Cuttin Diva

Unknown said...

So nice gifts! :)

papertrails leaver said...

These are too cute! Your girls will love them!

Creative Diva said...

This is extremely fabulous idea. I love them. Thanks for joining us at DCD.

Hugs,
Patty
creativediva98.blogspot.com

Leigh Ann Baird said...

This might be the coolest project ever next to your mini album with the pre-paid dates. The pencil is genius!

Lisa Kind said...

OMGosh! These are fantastic! I LOVE that pencil...so creative!

L.B. said...

What fun fun treats!
http://coolbeansbylb.blogspot.com/

*Alison* said...

This is such a cute creation.. love those cute pencils :) hugs

Jessie/knightrone said...

How CUTE!! So fun!

Aleks said...

How sweet are those! :) Does the chocolate go all through the "tube"?

01 09 10