Sunday, April 27, 2014

An Altered Wooden Block for Home Decor

I have a home decor tutorial for you today.  My dad does woodworking and has a lot of wooden scraps.  I asked him for some wooden blocks of various sizes and I have made a number of different home decor items.  Today I have a 'clipboard' of sorts.

I have used the Flea Market collection by Crate Paper as I love shabby chic, and these papers give me that look with much less work than creating it myself!  Using my Xyron products makes this a quick and easy project!

First off, I basecoat the block in a desired color.  You don't need to paint the front as it will be covered.

Next I cut the background paper to fit the front of the block.  I then fussy cut bits and pieces of the pattern paper and lay them here and there as desired until I like the look.  I don't use any chipboard or anything bulky at this point as when I am done I run the whole pane through my Xyron 900.  To hold the pieces in place before I stitch I use my Xyron Mega Runner, just enough adhesive so the pieces don't move while I stitch.

The larger pieces I run through the Xyron 900

When all of the pieces are adhered and stitched in a way that I like, I then run the whole panel through.  This works wonders as I use the Permanent adhesive thus no mess, no drying time, no wrinkles just a quick and easy application!


The smaller pieces I put through the Xyron 150 (this is what I covered the clothes pin with)

And here is the finished product.  I will use it on my desk to hold notes or photos.  Or I may just leave it as is, I love looking at this pretty paper!

















5 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

This is gorgeous! I am loving the blue wood grain!!!!

Jeanne said...

Very pretty Laurel. I was interested to learn that you use the Xyron products to attach, over a wet adhesive. The end result looks fantastic. :)

Audrey Pettit said...

Wow, how cool! How beautiful! And what a great idea, Laurel! Love that you added that clip at top so that you can turn this cutie into a clipboard. LOVE it!

Unknown said...

REALLY pretty!

~amy~ said...

ooohhhh....looks fabulous!

01 09 10